Dooley Distinguished Research Fellows
The Dooley Distinguished Research Fellowships are intended to assist scholars in gaining access to and conducting extensive and intensive research specifically in the GHS Research Center collections.
Research Fellowships will support scholars from outside the Savannah area engaged in graduate-level, post-doctoral, and independent research. These Research Fellowships will be awarded through an application process. Applications are for on-site research in the collections of the Georgia Historical Society and are intended to assist with offsetting expenses while Research Fellows conduct research at GHS.
Research Fellows have access to the GHS Research Collections, including manuscripts, photographs, architectural drawings, rare and non-rare books, and thousands of maps, portraits, and artifacts.
Up to $5,000 will be awarded each cycle with 1-5 Research Fellows in each award cycle.
Complete applications will consist of four parts:
- Online application form - The application period for class of 2024 fellowships has closed. Please follow GHS for news of future opportunities.
- Project proposal
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of Recommendation (2, confidential) from faculty or other scholars familiar with the research project
Project proposals will include:
- Title of project
- Detailed description of project not to exceed 4 pages
- Specific materials of interest at GHS to be consulted
- Where research will lead to projects such as: dissertation, book, article, chapter, conference paper, documentary
Successful applications will include an in-depth explanation of how GHS collections are to be used and why they will be essential to the progress and completion of the research project.