Year Erected: 1992
Marker Text: In 1839 “Cousin John” Thrasher built a settlement called Thrasherville at this then forested site near the peg marking the planned terminus of the Western & Atlantic RR. This railroad was later built by the State of Georgia to provide a link to the north for other Georgia railroads. While building northward near Griffin, the Monroe RR accepted John Thrasher’s bid to build an embankment to enable a future junction of the Monroe RR with the W&A RR. The Monroe Embankment, at $25,000 project, required about two years to complete. To fulfill his contract John Thrasher brought in many laborers, built rough shelters to house them and opened Atlanta’s first store. Atlanta’s first religious service, labor trouble, social event and baby are associated with this settlement. In 1847, the terminus was changed to the place now marked by the Zero Mile Post. Thrasherville, Terminus and Marthasville were the names given to the railroad generated settlement activity which preceded Atlanta. Thrasherville and Terminus were unofficial names. Marthasville was incorporated in 1843 and was reincorporated as Atlanta in 1845 and 1847. “Cousin John’s” settlement at this location is where Atlanta began.