Poole’s Mill Covered Bridge

Poole's Mill Bridge MarkerYear Erected: 2000

Marker Text: Cherokee Chief George Welch constructed a grist mill here on his extensive homeplace c. 1820. An uncovered bridge was later added. With the 1838 removal of the Cherokees, the land was sold to Jacob Scudder. Dr. M. L. Pool purchased it from Scudder’s family in 1880. Abandoned in 1947, the mill burned in 1959. The original bridge washed away in 1899 and was replaced with the present 96-foot structure in 1901. Constructed in the Town lattice design by Bud Gentry, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Historical Society of Forsyth County, Inc.