Kingsboro & Cataula

Year Erected: 1958

Marker Text*: At KINGSBORO, 3 mi. S., Ga.’s first narrow gauge railroad (North & South RR), chartered in 1870 (Columbus to Rome), ended in 1873. CATAULA (Big Rock) is a Creek name. Clowers Meth. Church, organized as “Providence” in 1829, was built of logs by Thomas Clowers and others, with James Dorrough, Jr., pastor. Renamed, it was moved to Cataula. Rehobeth Bap. Church, moved to Cataula in 1900, was organized 1 1/4 mi. S. in 1839. The Granberry family gave land for this church; Rev. Geo. Granberry was the first pastor. Harmony Prim. Bap. Church was organized in 1841. Thomas McElroy gave the land and, in 1953, it was returned to his family.

*Marker not in place due to damage or maintenance.

Tips for Finding This Site: Located at the intersection of Hamilton Road (U.S. 27) and Denney Road (Route 315) in Cataula.