The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Erected by Georgia Historical Society
Dedicated April 06, 2005
GPS: N33 28.34928|W081 57.7845
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began in Kentucky in the early years of the nineteenth century. Dr. Daniel Hook and Captain and Mrs. Edward Campfield established Augusta’s First Christian Church in 1835, despite great suspicion and negativity from more established Protestant denominations. Philanthropist Emily Tubman aided the fledgling congregation by donating the first building (later Tubman High School for girls), convincing Georgia lawyer James S. Lamar to study and to become the church’s pastor in 1852, and donating new buildings for the church’s relocation to Greene and McIntosh Streets in 1874. Restoration of the structure began in 1989.